Players embark on a cross-country train adventure, collecting train cards that allow them to lay claim to colour-coded railway routes across a map of the 20th-century USA. The longer the route claimed, the more points they earn - but the more cards they'll need to save up to claim it.
By establishing longer routes connecting multiple cities, players will try to complete destination tickets offering major bonus points for linking up two specific cities... or penalties for failing to do so. Turns are simple: either draw more cards, claim a route, or pick up additional destination tickets. But who will outmanouevre their opponents and create the most valuable railway network?
With elegantly simple gameplay, Ticket to Ride can be learned in under 15 minutes. Players collect cards of various types of train cars they then use to claim railway routes in North America. The longer the routes, the more points they earn. Additional points come to those who fulfill Destination Tickets – goal cards that connect distant cities; and to the player who builds the longest continuous route.
"The rules are simple enough to write on a train ticket – each turn you either draw more cards, claim a route, or get additional Destination Tickets," says Ticket to Ride author, Alan R. Moon. "The tension comes from being forced to balance greed – adding more cards to your hand, and fear – losing a critical route to a competitor."
Ticket to Ride continues in the tradition of Days of Wonder's big format board games featuring high-quality illustrations and components including: an oversize board map of North America, 225 custom-molded train cars, 144 illustrated cards, and wooden scoring markers.
Since its introduction and numerous subsequent awards, Ticket to Ride has become an epitome of a "gateway game" - simple enough to be taught in a few minutes, and with enough action and tension to keep new players involved and in the game for the duration.
AWARDS & HONORS
- 2010 Hungarian Board Game Award Nominee
- 2008 Ludoteca Ideale Official Selection
- 2006 Japan Boardgame Prize Best Japanese Game Winner
- 2006 Japan Boardgame Prize Best Japanese Game Nominee
- 2006 Hra roku Winner
- 2006 Hra roku Nominee
- 2005 Vuoden Peli Family Game of the Year Winner
- 2005 Vuoden Peli Family Game of the Year Nominee
- 2005 Juego del Año Winner
- 2005 Juego del Año Finalist
- 2005 Diana Jones Award for Excellence in Gaming Winner
- 2005 Diana Jones Award for Excellence in Gaming Nominee
- 2005 Årets Spill Best Family Game Nominee
- 2005 Årets Spel Best Family Game Winner
- 2004 Tric Trac Nominee
- 2004 Spiel des Jahres Winner